Monday, December 17, 2007

The Spoon is Mightier than the Eraser.

Something I've discovered recently: in Bulgaria, nodding your head up and down means "no" and shaking your head left to right means "yes". Try it. Think "yes, that is correct" and shake your head side to side. Now think "no, that's not right" and nod. Feels a bit weird, eh? Well, it does to me. So not only do you get the spoken language barrier, but the body language barrier, as well, making life in a new culture that much easier. No, I won't be in Bulgaria, but it's right next door. It's those little things that I never think about, like nodding in agreement with someone when they're talking, that'll make the cross cultural experience so interesting and challenging. I'm curious to see what Romanians do that's totally different from Americans. Maybe they wave with their foot instead of their hand. Maybe they smile when they're angry and frown when happy. Who knows. If there's a country out there where nodding means "no", I'm preparing myself for anything. You want me to eat with the knife and cut with the spoon? Ok, I'm down!

This is my last week of work. Then it's off to Florida for a few days of family time and winter sunshine, followed by a month of preparing, packing, and panicking, and then it's go time. Oh yes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you shake hands with a Romanian male above the age of thirteen, you've pledged yourself to marriage. So be careful. And wash your hands.

ant

Erin said...

AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTT!

thanks for the 411. and merry christmas.