Saturday, December 26, 2009
Friends Till the End
Do you ever feel like you've missed some important life step? A step that everyone else around you has taken or is in the process of taking, but somehow you skipped it and are now left outside the loop, jogging on a different track. Wondering where everyone went. It happens when the inside jokes formerly close friends post on facebook make zero sense to you and feel more like messages of "you don't know me anymore" than silly gags. Or when the entire sphere of people you know seems to be pairing off into happy little couples, dining and dancing and marrying and multiplying, with or without you, in the face of your bewilderment. How does it happen? How could you miss so much of the lives you once felt close to? I guess it's an easy question to answer. You leave for two years. It's more than that, though. I don't feel like I've known someone, really known someone and been a more or less daily part of their life, for more than two years. Ever. Best friends, boyfriends, whoever. My mom, dad and sister being the only exceptions. My friends back home who I consider close are the ones I correspond with through some sort of medium maybe once a month, tops. I know the very simple, surface basics of what's going on in their lives. My close friends here will all be scattering to different parts of the world in four months, myself included. And even now I rarely get to see them. I'm horrible at staying in touch. How do people do it? How do people keep their close friends close? Is it something none of us can do? Is it something only the loners slash wanderers struggle with? Am I missing something important?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Bah! One thing I love about you is that we can miss the details of each others lives, but the core foundation will always be there. There are friends that are built off of those day-to-day details and those people disappear over time. On the other hand, there are friends that create a bond that time and distance cannot affect. This is why visiting with some people that I haven't seen for years is awkward, but when I see someone like you, I am 100% comfortable and fell like I am at home. Even if the last few years have been a mystery, it just gives us more to chat about! You will always be my Listy, no matter the mileage or the years!
How do we keep close friends close? We keep them in our hearts, as we all know we are in yours!
i do think that experiences like you are having redefine "close" as well what you want in your friendships / relationships ... you have had a completely different experience then most of your friends and i think it changes ones perspective - also being able to be with ones self and be happy is an amazing experience...i also think that not everyone follows that same path - get married, buy a house , have kids .... and thats ok
just some thoughts
leigh
long lost cousins
Post a Comment