Thursday seems to be the blog day as of late.
There's a wonderful craft shop here that I go to at least once a month to buy a little hand-made trinket or a gift to send home. There are three reasons why I love this craft shop dearly: 1) the stock is mostly made up of the works created by local artisans from the Sfantu Gheorghe region, 2) the shopkeeper is just about the nicest little old lady I've ever met, and 3) it's magical. Yes, magical. From the moment I open the door and walk inside, Romanian suddenly decides to make sense and for some mystical reason, I can actually understand about 75% of what the sweet little shopkeeper says. And if that's not enough, I am miraculously able to say things (very simple things) in Romanian that are comprehensible, at least to my little older lady friend, even if it does sometimes take a couple of tries. I don't even know her name, or the name of the store for that matter, but she is one of those ladies and it is one of those places that I know will tug on the heart strings five years from now, even if I were to leave tomorrow. I know this because thinking about it right now, thinking about not having the option to go buy a scarf that was knitted by a little local bunica, or not being able to go practice my lousy Romanian with someone whose personality makes me smile for the rest of the day, already does tug on the heart strings. There's something she always says to me as I'm leaving the shop, which I never really understood until today. It means something along the lines of "thank you for supporting our community". Well, that's why I'm here, but I think the shop and its keeper do far more to support me than I do to support them. Buying stuff is easy, even on a volunteer's budget, but making an outsider feel welcome and comfortable? That takes far more skill. Maybe it even takes a little magic.
8 comments:
Those people are awesome. Some can just make anyone feel comfortable and happy. :)
Magic happens.
That must be where you got my beaded bracelet!
Love,
Lynsey
I wish I could say there is a lovely little shop I stop by regularly. Such a nice time for you! Take her picture some day :)
I totally know what you mean in the sense of having someone that you just love to be around. My main "tutors" are two separate women - one at a magazin de chimie and another at the "Serbian" piata (though I don't know what makes it Serbian, and Maria is actually Moldavian/Russian, anyhow...). These two women have the ability to, once I walk into their space, make me feel like the coolest, wittiest, well versed non-native Romanian speaker. Of which I am certainly not. That withstanding, those women are definitely going to be with me for ages to come.
On another note, I am envious of your community craft shop (come... on.... Oltenia..!!!!)
--heather
I believe in magic. The wonderful lady is there for a reason and you have found her. Love, Mom & Ozzie
too quiet over there
That's what I've been athinkin'.........
Post a Comment