Thursday, November 13, 2008

And all is good

I know my posts on here have been fairly down lately, and I apologize for that. I'm not providing a very accurate image of my life here right now because the majority of it is surprisingly nice, knock on wood. I think part of the sorrow that's been coming out is due to the fact that I only update at night, when I am feeling my lowest. During the day, I am as happy as a clam, but after about 8pm on evenings when not much is going on, I get down and all I want to do is type out my blues. I've actually been resisting the urge lately to jump on here every time I'm feeling down because I don't want to give everyone the impression that my life here is bleak and difficult, but I don't have many other means of relief. It's getting too cold to jog, I can't find a piano to play for the life of me, I'm tired of turning plastic bottles into flowers and spiders, I am unable for some reason to focus on any book, and I don't want to live a life of pestering people on gmail chat. So I type.

On Tuesday, I handed out the roles for the Christmas skit the drama club is going to put on. Last week I had only 11 people show up, this week I had 15...it's hard to prepare a play when the participants vary so much, but everyone who was there this Tuesday said they were dedicated, so we'll see. Actually, I need to write two more scenes so everyone will be able to have at least two parts. They're surprisingly, wonderfully into it and I bless the day that I mentioned my (minimal) drama experience to my tutor. This week was particularly fun when I put them into groups of 4, gave them each a line (four lines for the whole scene) and then asked them to perform the scene without actually saying the words, so they had to pantomime. It was great to see what they came up with, clever kids that they are.

Another fun moment happened when Dan, a very kind man at my agency who has been coming to the English hour, proudly held up his pencil and said "This is my chair!" after the this/that these/those lesson. He's never had English classes before, while most of the others have, and he's generally pretty quiet in class, but he tries. He was so proud and sure of himself, it broke my heart to tell him the truth. "Sorry, Dan. That is a pencil, not a chair. But it is yours." "Oh...this is my PENCIL!" he then points at his chair "this is my CHAIR!" he says with a smile as he lightly punches the air in victory. I love people.

5 comments:

Sue-z said...

The contrast of nighttime brings opportunity for quiet thoughts. It's good to know you are okay. Drama sounds a highlight in your week, and Dan is great!

Margery said...

Night also is a worry time for me. I find myself worrying about the silliest things. Come morning all is fine and I wonder why I was so concerned. It must be the night air. It is always wonderful to find a kind soul and to have him in your class is enough to make it all worth while. I know my after school classes are like that just one delightful student can make all the difference. Love, Mom and Ozzie

Anonymous said...

Hey, I make those kind of language mistakes, and I only speak English...ahh, age! Some days it's a miracle if I get any word out...searching, searching.

Anonymous said...

wow
it does sound challenging
when you know some of the things that will make you feel batter and keep balanced and you do not have access to them. I regret that my last response - (email no tone) was kind of not very compassionate.
enjoy the moment
keep posting
peace & love
leigh

Erin said...

no, no...don't worry. i didn't think you meant your comment meanly. it did get me to thinking, though, that i'm not doing a very good job on here of showing how and what i'm doing. it's good to realize that. keep commenting :)