Saturday, February 16, 2008

No, I can't sleep

About three months ago, the Peace Corps did a media push here in Reno, and in the west in general, and a few of the local newspapers interviewed me, which was a cool, yet intimidating experience. I'm okay at this - typing out some stuff, rereading it, changing it to fit what I meant a little more, rereading it, changing it again, sleeping on it for a night, editing and editing until it's juuuust right, but speaking to a person who's recording what I'm saying and going to write an article about it? Frightening. I am not quick on my feet and would prefer responding to questions through writing instead of discussion. Anyways, one of the questions a reporter asked me was how I would spend my last two nights here in Reno. My response? "Oh...uh...wow...good question! Umm...packing, I guess...? I dunno." Yeah, lame, I know, but if this question was asked of me again, right now, here's what I'd say:

"Well, on the second to last night, I am going to attend a fund raiser for a local all-ages group here in Reno called the Holland Project (please see link to the right), where two awesome local bands - The Juvinals and Panic Opera - will be playing. It's going to be a great show to witness before leaving the states for the next two years and will even involve a Nixon look-alike doling out some hand-crafted Valentine cards to unsuspecting members of the audience. On the last night, I'm going to have one final delicious dinner with my mom at our new favorite Mexican place and then I'll pack and stare at the ceiling all night. I think that'll do it."

There. Doesn't that sound better?

Okay - here's why I started this post in the first place. Below is the address where mail (letters only) can be sent to me during training (the first three months). Packages will not get to me at this address, though, just letters...so no cookies, books, or caramel lattes for a while. Poo.

Erin Aldrich
Peace Corps/Romania
Str. Negustori, Nr. 16
Sector 2, Bucharest
Romania

Pretty swanky, eh? They also recommend that you write "Airmail" and "Par Avon" on the envelope and, with any luck, all letters will get to me within one to two weeks. So you could send a letter right now and I'd be there when it arrives. No pressure or anything.

Tomorrow I will cancel my cell phone and am looking forward to that. Not that I don't want to talk to anyone, I'm just not a fan of the things. But I'll most likely end up getting a new one in Romania. Maybe.

AND I no longer own a car or have to pay car insurance. I currently have not one bill to pay nor one dime that I owe and have never felt freer.

But there's alot here that I am going to miss. Gotta go to bed. G'night.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so excited for you! I look forward to sharing your adventures with my kids. (Can't start philanthropy too young!) I stive to expose them to strong, ambitious role models. You fit the bill perfectly! Congratulations on your journey!

PS What is your favorite Mexican restaurant?

Unknown said...

We're gonna miss you, Erin! But have fun and you can expect a nice warm hot tub and some fresh cookies when you return! :-) And once you can receive packages, we'll send you some Cookies of Doom... I recommend not giving the Romanians that name for them. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Erin! I think you must be somewhere in the air right now - what an amazing feeling! I am so incredibly excited for you and I can't wait for you to start updating here about all your adventures!

I will be bringing "Erin's Awesome Pudding Cookies" into Ohio's universe tonight in your honor! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Bear-Austen and Tanner already miss you-as do I & Mo-love you