My day was long and plain. Nothing special. Until the end. At a stoplight, I saw an old man get punched in the face and knocked to the ground. He had gotten out of his car to argue with a pedestrian who he nearly hit with his speeding car. As he was arguing, a stranger who saw what had happened sprang from his car, ran across the street, leaped into the air, punched the old man in the face hard enough to knock him to the ground, kicked the pedestrian in the shins, and then darted back to his car in perfect time for the light to turn green. And all within 30 seconds. Then our car continued on, end of story unknown. All over the world, nameless, meaningless hostilities are proudly, gracefully layered on top of other nameless, meaningless hostilities. When I got home, my nose started to bleed for the first time in maybe 15 years. It didn't last long. Hopefully the old man's didn't, either. But my head still hurts a little bit. Then I had an interview to become an ELF next year. I hope it works out and I can go somewhere soft and peaceful. Somewhere where I can make meaning out of the events around me. Somewhere that probably doesn't exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment