Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fourteen Peaces

I've moved recently and currently do not have internet in my new apartment, but hopefully it will be up and running in a week or two. It's funny how dependent I am on the internet. I feel anxious without it, and yet am so much more productive. I read, clean, cook, walk, work in the free evenings instead of dwindling away the hours on this thing. It's actually kinda nice not have the draw of the net at my fingertips. Anyways, as a peace corps volunteer I suppose we occassionally think about peace and what it means to us and how we can bring it to other people. Last night, as I tried to think of something to do that didn't involve interspace, I decided to create a list of the things that bring me peace. Here it is in no particular order.

1. The texture and taste of chocolate chip cookie dough (this came up first because I had just made cookies...).

2. The idea that I could, at any moment, discover that I have a super-natural power. I hope it's the ability to fly or time travel.

3. Watching an intense down pour of rain or snow from my apartment with no where that I need to go.

4. Listening to the wind move through the tall trees and shake up their leaves.

5. The brief excursion elsewhere that my mind takes when I play one of my favorite songs without messing up.

6. Entering my apartment for the first time after I've thoroughly cleaned it.

7. The silence and contentment that follows a good concert.

8. Holding a sleeping animal in my arms or on my lap.

9. The exhaustion and slight ache that follows a good work out or a day of physical labor.

10. Hearing TJ excitedly shout "Bear! Bear!!" when he realizes I'm nearby, and the little-armed hug that follows (when possible).

11. Baking cookies for people and knowing that they like them.

12. Thinking about all the possibilities this blue-green pearl holds.

13. Feeling like I've earned my right to sleep at the end of the day.

14. Dreaming up all the wonderful worlds that await us when we die and looking forward to seeing all of my family, friends and pets there. We'll eat ice cream and stroll along the beach and laugh at the bizarreness of it all.

2 comments:

Margery said...

Yes, we will laugh at how bizarre this world is and finally find true peace. Love, Mom & Ozzie

Renee said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, cookie dough.

It's funny I have the opposite feeling when I hear wind in the trees. It's a good feeling, but one more of uprising and possibilities which I find tumultuous and inspiring. And the possibilities of this blue-green pearl, give me the same feeling as above.