I bought a jar of mini-pickles today and the expiration date is May 17th, 2010. If all goes according to plan, I'll be finished with my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer when those pickles are officially deemed inedible. Oddly enough, there are 23 pickles (yes, I counted them because I could...I also ate two to make it exactly 23) in the jar. One for each month of remaining service. It seemed so small sitting on the shelf, 25 little pickles packed into my one jar amongst rows and rows of other jars, some with more pickles, some with peppers, some with beans, a few peas. Some will be purchased this week, some next week, some next year, but all of them will go to a person who will do with them what they can, whether they go towards a spaghetti sauce, a minestrone soup, or a chicken enchilada. I'm not sure what I can make with a jar of pickles, but I'll do my best. I've got two years to figure it out.
Maybe you're curious about how the camp with the kiddos went. It went well. I did the Time Warp for the first time in about 7 years, didn't catch the ball once during a vicious game of kickball, nervously narrated a native American legend, convinced some kids that I can understand EVERY language, even Martian, and ate the best food I've had since swear-in. Also, I saw an awful lot of staggering beauty, played cards with a Birds of Pray deck in a room that felt like Dracula's personal bar, said Jo Reggelt/Napot/Estet (good morning/day/evening) to every unexpecting soul who passed me and my group of lovely friends. I'm pretty sure I learned more than the kids did, but that's how things work in this pickle jar.
There's another package at the post office awaiting my open arms! I'll be able to pick it up on Tuesday, from 10 to 12. It's all about waiting here.
3 comments:
i like the pickle exercise
it reminds that every time i buy a new box of q-tips i always think wow 500 q-tips it will be a year or a year and a half before they are gone - and then one day they are. i spent some time recently with three people who had been in the Peace Core together - 20 years ago - 2 are a couple and have 2 teenagers and one who was visiting them. it was amazing the bond that they continue to have...they also talked about the whole deal where no one really tells you what to do you have to kind of make it up and figure it out and that there is a lot of waiting time...anyway i thought of you and wanted to share that. i have worked with kids and families all my life and i have to say that you have a great attitude for it - i think the piece about you learning more than them - meaning you are a teacher and always a student - is essential for ones own personal growth and being authentic and true to your work and the people you serve.
peace & love
your cousin
leigh
I'm glad you enjoyed your time with the kids. It must be a nice change. I hope the package is from me and it made it in one piece. Fires from CA making Reno very smokie - can't see the Sierra Mountains. Talk to you soon. Love, Mom & Ozzie
even Martian...that's fantastic.
Relish the pickles for you will soon be home...the time will fly.
heh..."relish"...
ant
Post a Comment