Sunday, April 27, 2014

Where is my mind?

Normally, I wouldn't put a piano song here that I didn't come up with, but I've been a little bit obsessed with this one, and this question, lately. I've been working on it over the past 3 months and it has replaced Yann Tiersen's Comptine d'un autre ete and La dispute as the first AND last songs that I play whenever I sit down at the keyboard. And those two have been my favorites for YEARS. I always feel weird and show-offy putting songs on here, but I don't know. It's my blog...a place where I put thoughts and things that occupy my mind, and this is definitely one of them as of late.

As for where my mind is, I think it has fragmented into two and a half minds. One that has traveled into the past and sits nostalgically in the memories of being at the brink of this wandering life, before I ditched all my friendships and family for the sake of excitement, newness, and seeming brave and unique; one that has traveled into the future and dreams up all the other realities I could have, mostly involving a golden retriever named Ashby who'll read books with me and help me dig holes in my garden, waiting patiently for me to return from my slightly boring day job to go on a nice long adventure walk around my quaint city, dotted with local, dog-friendly coffee shops and friends; and the remaining little half lives here, in Antalya, trying to figure out what's up with the other two bigger and kinda obnoxious minds. Striving for rationality, shooing away distractions, and seeking out common ground from all of my minds. Good luck, little guy.

That's where my mind goes when I play this song. 
If you've listened to the Pixies, I'm hoping you'll at least sorta recognize it. It's written by Frank Black, arranged for piano by Maxence Cyrin. Again, forgive the emotionless, tinny quality of my keyboard. I can't wait to play this on a real thing, with a sustain pedal AND weighted keys. Woah.

**(24 June 2014) I've replaced the emotionless version with one played on a more expressive, but still electronic, piano. It's not perfect, but I don't really want it to be.     


video
    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to hear you play. Hopefully you will play for me this summer! Love, Mom